MPs yesterday called on the Government to make it illegal for a landlord not to install carbon monoxide alarms in post-Grenfell building regulations review.
In a new report on carbon monoxide (CO) alarms launched yesterday, the All-Party Parliamentary Carbon Monoxide Group (APPCOG) recommended the Government introduce legislation requiring landlords to fit CO alarms.
The All-Party Group’s report — entitled Carbon Monoxide Alarms: Tenants Safe & Secure in their Homes — argues the tragic fire at Grenfell Tower reinforces the need for a ‘fundamental health and safety review’.
According to the Gas Safety Trust, there are 2.7 million renters at risk from dangerous gas appliances.
It said requiring landlords to fit CO alarms would help protect the most vulnerable members of society, particularly the fuel poor, low-income households, the elderly and children.
‘Housing regulations have become a pressing issue – with pressures on housing market provision, more people moving into the rental market, and the population growing, we have to make sure that people are safe and secure in every home from CO,’ said Barry Sheerman MP, co-chair of the APPCOG.
Eddie Hughes MP – who recently introduced a Ten Minute Rule Bill on CO regulations – commented: ‘Research, lived experiences and data all demonstrate that now is the time to take action to protect families where they live.
‘This report is especially timely as the Government looks to achieve its commitment to safeguard the more vulnerable in our society.’
Abbie Sampson, director of external affairs at Energy UK, and CO Be Alarmed! spokesperson, said: ‘We support this report as we know from our research private renters are at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning with one in three without a life-saving CO alarm.
‘Eight in 10 felt that the rules should change, and we have been calling on the Government to extend the 2015 regulations to protect all private renters – not just the 8% with a solid fuel-burning appliance.’
‘In the meantime, we urge all tenants to follow our simple ABC checklist to protect yourself from this silent killer – Do you have an Alarm fitted? Have you tested it and are the Batteries working? Have you had an up to date gas Check?’ she added.