Dan Peters 12 November 2018

Labour hits out at housing cash shift

Labour hits out at housing cash shift image

Labour has called for all areas to receive greater Government backing after Whitehall shifted the focus of its housing cash.

A new Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government policy paper quietly published last month revealed Whitehall has earmarked at least 80% of £7bn cash from five key housing programmes for projects in areas facing the highest affordability pressure, leaving just 20% for the rest of the country.

One local government expert suggested Whitehall was ‘withdrawing support for some of the most challenged parts of the country’ and the policy would ‘unquestionably widen the north-south divide’.

Labour’s shadow housing secretary, John Healey, said: ‘There’s now a housing crisis in every part of the country. Yet Conservative ministers still have no plan to fix the crisis and deep cuts to housing investment since 2010 have led to the lowest level of new social rented homes since the Second World War.

'All areas need more backing to build.’

Greater Manchester mayor Andy Burnham said the policy would 'fuel the economy where it is already strongest' and called on the Government to 'think again'.

He said: 'It is simply indefensible to shovel billions of pounds of public money into the more affluent areas when all parts of England are facing a housing crisis. 

'Such a skewed distribution of public money is demonstrably unfair and unacceptable.

'Right now, the Government should be working hard to bring our country back together rather than widening its economic and social divides.' 

For more on this story, visit The MJ (£).

It’s party time image

It’s party time

Paul Marinko tries to help the sector navigate the web of policy commitments for local government on offer after 12 December.
Collaboration is the key to tackling homelessness image

Collaboration is the key to tackling homelessness

With the support of stakeholders, including forward-thinking local authorities, Beam’s innovative support model ‘swiftly removes every barrier faced by homeless people from entering the workforce’, says Seb Barker.
SIGN UP
For your free daily news bulletin
Highways jobs

LA Clerk to Governors

North Yorkshire County Council
19,945 - £22,021 per annum pro rata
Looking for Clerks who will work closely with Governing Boards and further build on our reputation of excellence in... North Yorkshire
Recuriter: North Yorkshire County Council

Occupational Therapist Adults Social Care - Early Intervention

Essex County Council
£30300 - £41425 per annum
Job PurposeECC Adult Social Care, through effective practice, is moving towards a transformational shift from a focus on long-term care support, to a England, Essex, Harlow
Recuriter: Essex County Council

Occupational Therapist Adults Social Care - Early Intervention

Essex County Council
£30300 - £41425 per annum
Job PurposeECC Adult Social Care, through effective practice, is moving towards a transformational shift from a focus on long-term care support, to a England, Essex, Harlow
Recuriter: Essex County Council

ASC Occupational Therapist -Early Intervention

Essex County Council
£30300 - £41425 per annum
Please note there are 3 positions available. Job PurposeECC Adult Social Care, through effective practice, is moving towards a transformational shift England, Essex, Harlow
Recuriter: Essex County Council

Business Support Administrator Grade C

North Yorkshire County Council
17.711 - 18.426
You will need to have a natural desire to learn and continually develop your knowledge and skills. North Yorkshire
Recuriter: North Yorkshire County Council

Local Government News

Latest issue - Local Goverrnemnt News

This issue of Local Government News explores how councils can tackle modern slavery and trafficking in their supply chains, finds out more about Cambridge's first cohousing scheme and the launch of a new project to build a shared service pattern library for local government.

This issue also contains a special focus on children's services and how councils are protecting children following local safeguarding children boards being abolished.

Register for your free magazine