The shortlist for the best council-run service has now been published, and people are being to urged to vote for their favourite scheme.
The Local Public Ownership Awards have been launched by We Own It in partnership with LocalGov.
The aim is to celebrate councils doing a brilliant job of running public services directly.
The shortlist includes:
- Robin Hood Energy in Nottingham: the first council-owned energy company
- Bringing social workers in-house in Buckinghamshire
- Sevenoaks District Council: Platinum quality public services
- Going green on waste in Liverpool
- Reading Buses – getting greener and putting passengers first
- Innovative recycling in Ards and North Down
- Bristol Energy: local community and renewable energy
- Aberdeen City Council: Recycling where it matters
- Flood crisis in Cumbria: public ownership saves the day
- Slough sets up its own waste company
- Futures Advice, Skills and Employment for Nottingham residents
- Nottingham City Transport: keeping bus users happy