Laura Sharman 05 December 2019

Prosecutions for Blue Badge fraud up by 18% in past year

Prosecutions for Blue Badge fraud up by 18% in past year image

A third of councils in England do not have a policy in place to prosecute people for Blue Badge fraud, new figures have revealed today.

The report, published by the Department for Transport, shows there were 1,432 prosecutions in 2018/19 for the misuse of the permits, up by nearly 18% on the previous year.

The annual survey also shows 33% of councils do not have a policy in place to prosecute fraudsters, although 65% of these are planning on implementing one in the future.

The report added: ‘Of the authorities which had a policy for prosecuting, 61% prosecuted individuals for misuse of Blue Badges. The remaining 39% had no prosecutions despite having a policy.’

Nearly all the prosecutions (99%) were due to someone using another’s person’s permit.

The latest figures show 2.29 million motorists in England have a Blue Badges, which is 4.1% of the population.

SIGN UP
For your free daily news bulletin
Highways jobs

Economy & Business Service Manager 

Harborough District Council
£49,350 to £52,368
Looking for an experienced manager who understands public sector responsibilities with the proven ability to deliver our ambitions. Market Harborough, Leicestershire
Recuriter: Harborough District Council

Head of Income and Financial Inclusion

The Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea Council
£48,800 - £66,000 per annum
You’ll have excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with a substantial track record of successful performance management. Kensington and Chelsea, London (Greater)
Recuriter: The Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea Council

Advanced Practitioner

The Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea Council
£33.600 - £45,400 per annum
Looking for an Advanced practitioner Social workers to join the Adult social services in the... Kensington and Chelsea, London (Greater)
Recuriter: The Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea Council

Adult Principle Social Worker

The Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea Council
£36,600 - £49,600 per annum
The successful candidate will be a passionate and skilled communicator with ability to work alongside operational Social Workers and... Kensington and Chelsea, London (Greater)
Recuriter: The Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea Council

Consultation and Insight Officer

The Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea Council
£29,000 - £39,200 per annum
Looking to recruit two highly committed and talented individuals to join Kensington and Chelsea’s Consultation and Insight Team. Kensington and Chelsea, London (Greater)
Recuriter: The Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea Council

Public Property

Latest issue - Public Property News

This issue of Public Property examines how public sector organisations can unlock the hidden value in their land, and why a new approach to construction could help boost the outcomes of the Government’s One Public Estate programme.

The December issue also considers why learnings from ancient cities could provide the key to promoting wellbeing in the modern built environment. It also contains a case study on how the London Borough of Westminster has provided high quality care for the elderly alongside a block of luxury apartments.

Register for your free digital issue