James Evison 16 May 2011

Lancs CC sign-off 10 year BT deal

Lancs CC sign-off 10 year BT deal image

Lancashire CC has agreed to outsource its ICT and back-office functions to BT, despite a history of successful in-house operations.

The county council began a series of benchmarking from 1998, under the leadership of ICT director, Bill Brown, and received a top rating from the Audit Commission for the provision of services across the county.

But, following the retirement of Mr Brown, changes to the senior management team and cost cutting to the council’s budget, the move has been announced, as part of plans to save the council £100m over the duration of the 10-year deal.

The news comes after a report by IT consultancy Socitm warned against outsourcing for local authorities, stating it was ‘fraught with risk’, from the first stage of tendering, where the outsourcing company would already be skilled negotiators.

The Lancashire agreement means BT will establish a partnership with the county council in the form of a private limited company called One Connect - a subsidiary of BT. The county council will have a 40% share in the company, with BT holding the remaining 60%, and the board selected by both parties.

Neil Rogers, president, government & health, BT Global Services, said: ‘This is a key contract for BT and extends our footprint in this crucial market sector.’ 

Cllr Geoff Driver, leader of Lancashire CC, said: ‘By using our combined expertise and technology, we will cut red tape, simplify processes used for carrying out many day-to-day tasks, and provide services far more quickly and efficiently.’

Time for a council tax precept to fund CCTV image

Time for a council tax precept to fund CCTV

The crisis in funding for CCTV systems is not being addressed by the government or the police and is leading to the curtailment of this vital service in local authorities across the country. How can we ensure that communities that want this service continue to receive it, asks Tom Reeve.
SIGN UP
For your free daily news bulletin
Highways jobs

Prevent Community Engagement Officer

Sandwell Metropolitan Borough Council
£24,982 - £29,577 pro rata
This is an exciting opportunity for someone who is seeking a challenge in an interesting field. We Sandwell, West Midlands
Recuriter: Sandwell Metropolitan Borough Council

Regeneration Manager – Regeneration, Development and Growth Projects

East Suffolk Council
£46,845 - £50,705
East Suffolk Council is an exciting place to work and a great place to make a real difference to people's lives Suffolk
Recuriter: East Suffolk Council

Senior Lawyer Regeneration & Property

Royal Borough of Greenwich
£45.834 - £48.819
Are you a Senior Regeneration & Property Lawyer with local government experience and looking for variety and challenge? Greenwich, London (Greater)
Recuriter: Royal Borough of Greenwich

Lawyer (Planning & Highways)

Royal Borough of Greenwich
£40.869 - £43.860
Are you a Planning & Highways Lawyer with local government experience and looking for variety and challenge? Greenwich, London (Greater)
Recuriter: Royal Borough of Greenwich

Employment Programme Manager

Royal Borough of Greenwich
£43.860 - £46.839
We are looking for an Employment Programmes Manager that can effectively manage a team delivering employment support programmes, with... Greenwich, London (Greater)
Recuriter: Royal Borough of Greenwich

Public Property

Latest issue - Public Property News

This issue of Public Property examines how how flexible workspaces can lead the way in regeneration for local authorities, Why local authority intervention is key to successful urban regeneration schemes and if the Government’s challenge of embracing beauty is an opportunity for communities.

The March issue also takes a closer look at Blackburn with Darwen Council's first digital health hub to help people gain control over health and care services.

Register for your free digital issue