A council’s shock campaign to crackdown on dog fouling has caused outrage on social media after a poster showed a toddler ‘eating’ poo.
The picture, which has been viewed online by more than one million people, had been put up by Spelthorne Borough Council in playgrounds across the borough.
Many commentators have called the poster ‘vile’ although people did say it would also be effective at getting the message across.
The council defended the hard-hitting campaign saying dog mess was potentially dangerous for children. A spokesperson said: ‘Dog waste, as well as being unsightly, is dangerous and contains a parasitic worm which, if ingested, can cause blindness.
‘Children are particularly susceptible because of their habit of putting fingers in mouths.’