Mark Whitehead 18 October 2018

Twelve councils given funding to remove unsafe cladding

Twelve councils given funding to remove unsafe cladding image

The Government has released the first £248m of a fund to pay for the removal and replacement of unsafe cladding from high-rise tower blocks.

Prime minister Theresa May announced a £400m fund earlier this year to enable councils and housing associations to make their properties safe following the Grenfell disaster.

The ministry of housing, communities and local government said applications had been received for 159 buildings and 135 – from 12 councils and 31 housing associations – have now been approved.

Under the scheme 80% of the estimated costs will be provided upfront to ensure work can start without delay.

The work will be closely monitored and the remaining 20% will paid once work is complete and the final costs are known.

The ministry says the latest figures show more than 75% of social housing buildings with unsafe aluminium composite material (ACM) cladding are currently removing and replacing it, with plans in place for the remaining 25%.

It says interim fire safety measures are in place in all affected buildings to keep residents safe until the cladding has been replaced.

LGPS: Unlocking infrastructure image

LGPS: Unlocking infrastructure

Pension funds can play an important role backing useful projects such as railway infrastructure, water companies and green energy. Mark Whitehead met a man whose organisation invests local government pensions constructively.
Maximising tech spend image

Maximising tech spend

David Beggs calls on local government to take a much broader view of technology to get the most value from it.
SIGN UP
For your free daily news bulletin
Highways jobs

Senior Practitioner - Children in Care

Essex County Council
Negotiable
In Essex County Council we are "Serious about Social Work". Having recently won the Best Social Work Employer of the Year Award 2018 and been awarded England, Essex, Colchester
Recuriter: Essex County Council

Youth Offending Service Practitioner

Essex County Council
£30001.0 - £41000.0 per month
Essex County Council (ECC) is one of the largest and most dynamic local authorities in the UK, serving a population of 2 million residents, and has a England, Essex, Chelmsford
Recuriter: Essex County Council

NCS Youth Work Team Leader|226446|ECC

Essex County Council
£19389.0 - £22558.0 per hour
Essex County Council (ECC) is one of the largest and most dynamic local authorities in the UK, serving a population of 2 million residents, and has a England, Essex, Chelmsford
Recuriter: Essex County Council

NCS Youth Work Assistant Team Leader|226445|ECC

Essex County Council
Negotiable
Essex County Council (ECC) is one of the largest and most dynamic local authorities in the UK, serving a population of 2 million residents, and has a England, Essex, Chelmsford
Recuriter: Essex County Council

Youth and Community Manager

Dunstable Town Council
£32,878 rising to £34,788 (pay award pending)
As Youth and Community Manager you will lead in the development and delivery of a range of services targeting young people Dunstable, Bedfordshire
Recuriter: Dunstable Town Council

Public Property

Latest issue - Public Property News

This issue of Public Property examines how public sector organisations can unlock the hidden value in their land, and why a new approach to construction could help boost the outcomes of the Government’s One Public Estate programme.

The December issue also considers why learnings from ancient cities could provide the key to promoting wellbeing in the modern built environment. It also contains a case study on how the London Borough of Westminster has provided high quality care for the elderly alongside a block of luxury apartments.

Register for your free digital issue