William Eichler 23 March 2020

Government issues guidance on isolation for residential educational settings

Government issues guidance on isolation for residential educational settings  image

Social workers who need to investigate child protection concerns should be admitted to the home while observing appropriate infection control procedures, according to the latest Government guidance.

The Department for Education has issued guidance on isolation for residential educational settings. It is designed to support the management of children and young people living in children’s homes, residential special schools and colleges, further education providers with residential accommodation, mainstream boarding schools, and university halls of residence.

The guidance says that all of these settings are considered households for the purposes of the household self-isolation policy. This means the setting should self-isolate if a resident shows symptoms.

However, it acknowledges that unlike other households, these settings will need to have staff and other professionals arriving and leaving during the period of self-isolation.

Careful infection control measures should be followed during and after visits, the guidance emphasises. Any staff member with symptoms of coronavirus should also cease working immediately and self-isolate, and staff who might be vulnerable should not attend any visits.

The Department for Education says that if social workers or police need to visit and investigate child protection concerns, they should be admitted to the home while observing appropriate infection control procedures.

If a child in a residential care home develops symptoms of coronavirus, staff can continue to enter the home but consistent staff rotas should be used and staff should follow infection control procedures. Other residents in the home should remain in isolation and not attend any off-site school for two weeks.

All residential special schools and colleges should assess the risk, along with councils, in deciding how to apply this guidance most effectively. Settings that cannot remain open should aim to make closures temporary and reopen once they have drafted in additional staff, according to the guidance.

Local authorities should help with these staff movements and, as far as possible, should disregard the usual boundaries of maintained, academy, college or other institution type to move appropriate staff into priority settings.

Local authorities should also maintain a register of all pupils and students with Education, Health and Care (EHC) plans, including any still under assessment for EHC plans, who have been sent home from their residential educational setting.

Councils should also contact the families of these pupils frequently as part of its monitoring duties to ensure risks are being managed, and to establish whether additional support is necessary and how that will be delivered.

Shared Lives in health image

Shared Lives in health

Personalised care must be high on the agenda as we look to create a stronger, kinder and more connected society, writes Alex Fox OBE.
For your free daily news bulletin
Highways jobs

Residential Worker - The Maples Childrens Residential Home

Essex County Council
£20604.0 - £24735.0 per annum
Due to Ofsted regulations the successful candidate must be at least 23 years of age. Please note this role is based at The Maples in Harlow. The Maple England, Essex, Harlow
Recuriter: Essex County Council

Qualified Social Workers within Adult Services

Essex County Council
£30906 - £42245 per annum
Essex County Council continues to review its ways of working during the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic. We continue to work within adult social care with a England, Essex, Colchester
Recuriter: Essex County Council

Senior Building Control Surveyor

The Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea Council
£41,200 - £55,800 per annum
We are looking to recruit up to two Senior Building Control Surveyors to join the service adding their technical and professional skills to... Kensington and Chelsea, London (Greater)
Recuriter: The Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea Council

Residential Assistant

Essex County Council
£18029.00 - £20604.00 per annum
This is a Permanent, Part-Time role with a 30 hour week. This will include evenings and weekends. Essex County Council (ECC) is one of the largest and England, Essex, Clacton-On-Sea
Recuriter: Essex County Council

Caretaker/Handy Person - Mulberry Tree Family Centre

Essex County Council
Please note this is 6 month Fixed Term Contract Essex County Council (ECC) is one of the largest and most dynamic local authorities in the UK, serving England, Essex, Colchester
Recuriter: Essex County Council

Public Property

Latest issue - Public Property News

This issue of Public Property examines how how flexible workspaces can lead the way in regeneration for local authorities, Why local authority intervention is key to successful urban regeneration schemes and if the Government’s challenge of embracing beauty is an opportunity for communities.

The March issue also takes a closer look at Blackburn with Darwen Council's first digital health hub to help people gain control over health and care services.

Register for your free digital issue