Tendring District Council has confirmed it is being prosecuted for failing to manage the risk of Legionella at its leisure centre sites.
An investigation was launched by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after a customer contacted Legionnaire’s Disease after visiting a Walton-on-the-Naze Lifestyles leisure centre in 2016.
Ian Davidson, the council's chief executive, said: 'It would be inappropriate for me to comment further about this specific incident and the charge ahead of the court case. However, I would once again like to reiterate our apologies to the individual concerned.
'As soon as we became aware of the presence of Legionella bacteria at the new facility at Walton-on-the-Naze Lifestyles we moved to address the issue immediately, with the centre closed for three months while remedial works took place.
'Our investigation was quickly widened to include a review of our systems and practices right across the council and, working alongside the HSE, these are now extremely rigorous.'