William Eichler 09 October 2018

Reform Apprenticeship Levy ahead of Brexit, CBI says

Reform Apprenticeship Levy ahead of Brexit, CBI says image

Business leaders have urged the Government to reform the Apprenticeship Levy in order to help solve some of the economy’s underlying challenges ahead of Brexit.

In their submission to chancellor Philip Hammond before the Budget, the CBI called on Whitehall to do more to tackle the country’s skills shortage.

Describing the Budget as an opportunity to set the tone for a post-Brexit economy, the business pressure group said that while investing in capital is ‘vital’, there will not be ‘an inch of progress in tackling the economy’s underlying challenges unless we invest in people.’

The CBI’s submission welcomed the recent reform to the Apprenticeship Levy, which requires all public and private employers with a wage bill of more than £3m to contribute 0.5% of this expenditure. The aim is to fund three million places for apprentices by 2020.

The reform means that levy-paying employers will be able to make transfers of up to 25% to as many other employers as they wish. This enables companies to support training in smaller companies which might not be able to fund apprenticeships.

However, despite welcoming this reform as well as an increase in funding for the National Retraining Partnership, the CBI warned the Levy was still a ‘heavy part of the cumulative burden weighing on firms’ and called for it to be reformed.

The pressure group called on Whitehall to make it easier for small businesses (SMEs) to access Apprenticeship Levy funds by reducing the cap for SMEs from 10% to 5%.

Currently, non-levy paying employers will contribute 10% of the cost of training an apprentice and the Government will pay the remaining 90%. Reducing the cap for SMEs to 5% would make it easier for them to access levy funding.

The CBI also called for the introduction of a flexible skills levy after 2020, to include life-long learning, as well as a doubling of the budget of the Institute for Apprenticeships to £28m to give it the capacity to approve training schemes ‘quickly and efficiently.’

‘As we near the end of Brexit negotiations, the world’s gaze is fixed on these shores. This Budget is a pivotal moment and chance to showcase the UK as an open, collaborative and confident nation,’ said Carolyn Fairbairn, CBI director-general.

‘Entrepreneurs here and around the world need to see a UK committed to harnessing the power of business to innovate and tackle problems, from sustainability to inequality.

‘With skills shortages, uncertainty and the squeeze in incomes on the rise, this couldn’t be a more critical time to plug the drain on the UK’s productivity and deliver prosperity that is shared by workforces and communities across the country.

‘The Government must focus its attention on making the UK a shining beacon of enterprise, at the top of every investment league table and known worldwide as a country that attracts, not deters, capital and talent.’

SIGN UP
For your free daily news bulletin
Highways jobs

Director of Adult Social Care

Tower Hamlets London Borough Council
£94,854 - £109,662
Our Health, Adults and Community Directorate is looking to fill a key role reporting to the Corporate Director. Tower Hamlets, London (Greater)
Recuriter: Tower Hamlets London Borough Council

Legal Support Officer – Housing & Litigation

City of York Council
£20,422 - £21,552 per annum
This role will provide support to the Legal Services Housing and Litigation team. York, North Yorkshire
Recuriter: City of York Council

Social Worker - Discharge to Assess

Essex County Council
Up to £207 per day + Umbrella
About the RoleWorking to support adults, and their families, who have complex social needs and are more vulnerable as a result of disability, exclusi England, Essex, Chelmsford
Recuriter: Essex County Council

Business Administration Apprentice

Essex County Council
£8296.00 - £17190.00 per annum
Business Administration ApprenticeApprenticeship, Full Time£8,296.00 per annumLocation
Recuriter: Essex County Council

TS Business Analyst

Essex County Council
Up to £350 per day + Umbrella
The TS Business Analyst is responsible for assisting the implementation of the technology strategy and roadmap for a function (People, Place or Corpor England, Essex, Chelmsford
Recuriter: Essex County Council

Public Property

Latest issue - Public Property News

This issue of Public Property examines how how flexible workspaces can lead the way in regeneration for local authorities, Why local authority intervention is key to successful urban regeneration schemes and if the Government’s challenge of embracing beauty is an opportunity for communities.

The March issue also takes a closer look at Blackburn with Darwen Council's first digital health hub to help people gain control over health and care services.

Register for your free digital issue