The National Fire Chiefs Council (NFCC) has called for a long-term wildfire strategy amid the increasing risk of wildfires that are threatening homes.
In a statement last week, the NFCC warned that ‘wildfire risk is outpacing investment’, with 25 major incidents associated with extreme heat and wildfires having taken place this year.
It highlights that the risk has spread from land and wildlife to homes, which has resulted in people’s property and possessions being seriously damaged or destroyed.
Among the reasons for the occurrence of ‘more frequent, larger and more complex wildfires’, the NFCC names climate change, long periods of extreme heat, and changing land use.
It also emphasises the devastation caused to families and communities that are impacted by the fires – for example, many homes in Stourbridge, West Midlands were lost or severely damaged last week, and injuries were reported.
To help tackle the crisis, the NFCC calls for boosted investment in firefighters, specialist wildfire teams, training, equipment, and national capabilities.
Additionally, it outlines the need for a ‘long-term wildfire strategy that reflects the changing nature of emergencies facing the UK’.
Comments
Phil Garrigan, Chair of the National Fire Chiefs Council, said: ‘Recent incidents have demonstrated how rapidly fires can spread and how the threat is evolving, and today’s incidents take us one step further. Wildfires are no longer confined to remote rural areas. Increasingly, they are threatening homes, businesses and critical infrastructure as fires move from open land into urban and suburban communities.’
He added: ‘But our new reality is risk is growing faster than our collective capacity to respond. Climate change, prolonged periods of extreme heat and changing land use are creating more frequent, larger and more complex wildfires. We must ensure that investment is not only sustained but enhanced if we are to keep pace with the risks facing our communities.’
Mr Garrigan reinforced that the public has an important role in preventing wildfires, urging that people behave responsibly and with vigilance to help protect communities.
In a statement on Friday last week, First Secretary, Louise Haigh, said: ‘In response to the continued risk proposed by wildfires, the Government has taken the decision to issue an Emergency Alert to England and Wales. This is the most extensive use of the UK’s Emergency Alert system in response to an active incident, and reflects the seriousness with which the Government is acting to safeguard people and property.
‘During this period of extreme heat, we are asking people to take simple steps to limit the risk of further fires. By following the safety guidance, everyone can play their part in protecting local communities and supporting our frontline services who are working around the clock to keep people safe.
‘The Government will continue to provide every assistance to communities being impacted by these fires, including the deployment of 100 additional military personnel in major incident areas.’
.png)