Fire authority defies mayor over funding cuts
Boris Johnson looks set for a court battle with the London fire authority, after it defied the mayor and refused to put his controversial cuts package for the service out to consultation.
The London mayor aims to cut the fire brigade’s budget by £45m over the next two years under the plans, which would see 12 fire stations, 18 engines and 520 jobs axed across the capital.
Last week the Conservative mayor used his formal powers of direction for the first time to try and force the London Fire and Emergency Planning Authority to put the cuts package to the public.
However the fire authority voted to reject the mayoral direction on 11 February – leaving court action as the only solution if the opposing sides do not back down.
‘Delaying this consultation leaves the London Fire Brigade in a precarious position and may now lead to compulsory redundancies for some fire-fighters, which is entirely irresponsible. I shall be seeking immediate legal redress to ensure that the fire authority follows the direction I issued,’ Johnson said.
Navin Shah, Labour London Assembly fire spokesperson said the mayor was ‘fundamentally undermining the ability of the fire brigade to do their job’.
The proposals have also been heavily criticised by flagship Conservative councils Westminster and Kensington and Chelsea LBCs.
'Navin Shah, Labour London Assembly fire spokesperson' News of the day, Labour politician cannot countenance saving taxpayers moneyJ Smith, Added: Tuesday, 12 February 2013 09:01 PM
|Back||Top of page|